[petsc-dev] Stupid BuildSystem question: How do I force rebuild of a downloaded package?

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 7 14:26:00 CST 2011

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011, Richard Tran Mills wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am trying to test the changes I have made to the PLAPACKR32-hg package
> before pushing them back up and asking Satish to rebuild the tarball.  I
> guessed that I could do this by deleting
> $PETSC_DIR/externalpackages/PLAPACKR32-hg and
> $PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH/lib/libPLAPACK.a, pointing the download path to my
> local tarball, and running configure again.  I get the following:

> Now, my question is: Why does BuildSystem think that it doesn't have to
> rebuild PLAPACK?  I have deleted
> /home/rmills/proj/petsc-dev/ubuntu-gnu_g/lib/libPLAPACK.a.  Configure tries to
> link with that, anyway, and then eventually gives up and tells me that the
> downloaded PLAPACK can't be used.  Shouldn't it *not* do that since this file
> doesn't exist?

do: rm -f /home/rmills/proj/petsc-dev/ubuntu-gnu_g/conf/PLAPACK

configure creates a config file for each pakage - and stashes it at
this location.  If configure is reinvoked - it checks the previously
created conf file [i.e
/home/rmills/proj/petsc-dev/ubuntu-gnu_g/conf/PLAPACK] and sees if it
matches the currently generated one [to see if all compiler, mpi etc
options are the same]. If they match - it decides not to rebuild that
package.

Satish