[petsc-dev] Bordered systems and low-rank corrections

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Nov 6 12:09:12 CST 2011

On Nov 6, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Mark F. Adams wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2011, at 6:19 PM, Jed Brown wrote:
>

> I see you did ask about "-pc_fieldsplit_type schur and Richardson" in your email.  I was not trying to imply that (nontrivial) Krylov is never useful.  I've had people ask me this at talks: 'why are you using Richardson when everyone knows that CG is cooler'.

   Mark,

   You can/should always have the numbers and graph right there to show them; "look for this class of problems CG doesn't buy you smack".   The problem with NOT having the numbers to show them (I know you have the numbers from your experience but if you don't show them to the questioners)  is that it then LOOKS like a philosophical/religious reason to use Richardson. This isn't good, much better that people don't think it is philosophical/religious  and know that it is based on actual numbers.

   Barry