[petsc-dev] Bordered systems and low-rank corrections

Mark F. Adams mark.adams at columbia.edu
Fri Nov 4 11:08:28 CDT 2011

Woodbury does not seem natural (ie, efficient) when A is solved iteratively.  These methods rely on multiple solves with A being almost the same cost as one solve, most of the cost going into the matrix setup (factorization).  This is generally not the case with iterative solvers.  How does Woodbury work with inexact solves?  It looks to me like there are rank-of-B + 2 solves here.  Uzawa solvers (iterate on Schur compliment) seem better -- they work fine with inexact solves for A and you can precondition them easily for these special matrices with explic (D - C diag(A)^-1 B)^-1.  They converge very fast, like one digit per iteration even w/o preconditioning in my experience.