[petsc-dev] attaching field information to PetscLayout?

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Sat May 14 15:25:19 CDT 2011

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 22:21, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> The user will be composing preconditioners on splits etc using the string
> name (you cannot type an IS at the command line but you can type "pressure")
> so I am not sure why you are so focused on "the IS _is_ the thing you need".
> So I can see the string names as being important.

I assumed fieldsplit would use the string name and then hold onto the IS
(there is a good chance it is needed internally anyway). I don't see why the
string name would be needed in a performance-sensitive place since it's only
for "configuration" anyway.