[petsc-dev] preparing for a PETSc release

Blaise Bourdin bourdin at lsu.edu
Mon May 9 13:56:36 CDT 2011

Hi,

There are still a bunch a sieve-related open issues (I realize that I email the tickets to petsc-maint and not petsc-dev) introduced when Mesh, DA and DM were consolidated, and after the XXXDestroy calling sequence was altered:
- DMMeshView writes a text file, even when instructed to use a binary viewer
- MeshLoad does not read the file written by DMMeshView (perhaps because of the issue above)
- DMMeshRestoreCoordinatesF90 and DMMeshRestoreElementsF90 segfault

Also, I have been meaning to send a feature request but have been procrastinating. It deals with named options (as in enum) and fortran:
In C, there are 2 ways to handle options: PetscOptionsXXX wrapped in a PetscOptionsBegin/End and PetscOptionsGetXXX.
The former is nice in that it generates help, but only a subset of the later is implemented in fortran.
1. Is a fortran equivalent of the PetscOptionsXXX feasible? I understand that it would require more than just fortran bindings.
2. Alternatively, one can implement the options management in C and use PetscBag to convert data from a fortran derived type to a C struct and back. One limitation is that enums again are not supported, but neither are arrays.
3. If neither 1. or 2. is feasible, would it be possible to add fortran support for PetscOptionsGetEnum. Assuming that we use a integer for the enum in fortran, my understanding is that all it would take would be to be able to pass an array of fortran strings as the list argument of PetscOptionsGetEnum.

Lastly, since the changes DA->DMDA and in XXXDestroy are already going make many people angry, is it time to rename Vec PetscVec and Mat PetscMat?

Blaise

--
Department of Mathematics and Center for Computation & Technology
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA