[petsc-dev] Using PCFieldSplitSetIS

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Mar 16 07:12:59 CDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 07:37, Thomas Witkowski <
thomas.witkowski at tu-dresden.de> wrote:

> Thanks for explanations! It works fine in my code. But I have two questions
> about it, maybe you can help me with them:
> - To the first, is the LU factorization on block A_00 done only once?

Yes, one way to confirm this is to run with -log_summary and check
MatLUFactor{Sym,Num}.

> - I have run the code with -fieldsplit_1_ksp_monitor to get some more
> information about the internal solves. I expected to get information about
> one iterative solver (for solving the Schur complement system), but I got
> three, all of them need around 20 iterations for my example. Could you
> explain to me what is actually solved there?

I'm going to guess that you still have an outer KSP that (in the global
norm, rather than the partitioned norm used inside of splits) has a tighter
tolerance, therefore it takes a few outer iterations. If you use loose inner
tolerances then the preconditioner becomes nonlinear and you'll need to use
FGMRES for the outer. When in doubt, run with -ksp_view and show us the
results if you don't understand. Additionally, monitoring inner solves
separately can be useful, e.g. -fieldsplit_0_ksp_converged_reason
-fieldsplit_1_ksp_monitor -ksp_monitor_true_residual.