[petsc-dev] JSON library

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Mon Mar 14 16:04:56 CDT 2011

I want to reiterate a statement I made a while back that any alternative
input format really needs to support references. This is a good reason to
prefer Yaml over JSON. Yaml is a superset of JSON, but offers a more readily
human-readable layout, example: http://www.yaml.org/start.html

The important feature here is that references can be reused so it becomes
possible to define multiple solver configurations, then use each one
(perhaps with local modifications) in multiple places or not at all. If you
just do plain JSON, it's essentially the same expressiveness as current
options files, albeit easier to manipulate from other languages.