[petsc-dev] JSON library

Blaise Bourdin bourdin at lsu.edu
Mon Mar 14 15:31:11 CDT 2011

Hi,

No, I had no idea that Sean was bringing an LSU student to work on this.

I have a sophomore CS student starting right now. The idea is to implement PetscOptionsInsertJSONFile(MPI_Comm comm,const char file[],const char section[],PetscBool  require)
where every child of section would be parsed an inserted.
i.e. parsing the following json file with section="petsc"
{
  "version": "1.0",
  "encoding": "UTF-8",
  "mystuff": {
      "key1": "val1",
      "key2": [ "a", "b", "c"]
  },
  "petsc": {
	"sub1": {
		"key1": "val1",
      		"key2": [ "a", "b", "c"]
	},
	"sub2": {
		"key1": "val1",
      		"key2": [ "a", "b", "c"]
  },
}

would have exactly the same result as using
-sub1_key1 val1 -sub1_key2 a,b,c -sub2_key1 val1 -sub2_key2 a,b,c
on the command line.

My goal is to be able to use a single json file to control an entire computation (mesh generation, preprocessing, analysis, postprocessing, visualization). It seems to me that this is implementable with minor incursions into the petsc code base.

Blaise

--
Department of Mathematics and Center for Computation & Technology
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA