[petsc-dev] broken petsc-dev related mesh?

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Sat Mar 12 13:32:16 CST 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 20:21, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> I like them in place and think you need a more subtle tool then grep
> -noflags to find stuff :-).

Well, "ack" will ignore them by default, "ls" does not.

> Come on, our source management tools haven't improved since 1975?

Good source management tools are aware of whatever is currently being built
and do not look at things that are disabled (e.g. files ignored by the build
system or stuff inside of #ifdef NOT_DEFINED). It is also useful to search
more than just source files, for example to include references to a symbol
inside the user's manual or web page. When you explicitly do not want
semantic analysis, tools like grep are still handy. I don't know any smart
tools that have a "semantic" mode and a "non-semantic, but when looking at
html files, disregard those that have been generated, however please still
examine generated fortran stubs".

Why do you want them inside the source tree instead of with the rest of the
generated documentation?