[petsc-dev] broken petsc-dev related mesh?

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Sat Mar 12 12:07:58 CST 2011

Matt moved dm/mesh to dm/impls/mesh, but did not update the makefile. Fix
pushed.

I would like to encourage running config/cmakegen.py --verbose occasionally
since it shows stale things in the source tree, and stale makefiles. Some
cases:

src/sys/draw/impls/x/xvgrab.c has been both removed from the makefile and
has #if 0 around its contents. Was the latter just to appease builder.py
which (at that time, not sure now) was not checking makefiles? cmakegen.py
parses the makefile to determine what to build. One reason to prefer that
model is that it becomes easy to list those files which are not being built
at all.

src/sys/adic/adic/alloc.c is not a C source file at all, it hasn't been
touched since it was first checked in in 2005.

src/dm/impls/mesh/examples is not declared in the makefile, it would be
consistent to move these to src/dm/examples, but many of the examples depend
on SNES which is a higher level concept than DM, in which case they don't
belong in DM at all.

The function DALocalToGlobal() vanished in the DMDA reorganization, the
implementation is sitting in src/dm/impls/da/daltog.c but this file is not
being compiled. Doesn't this functionality actually belong in DM, in which
case it needs to be hooked back up?

One final question/comment regarding Mercurial: when directories are moved
or deleted (such as with cuda -> cusp naming), but the original contains
generated files (*.html, *.d), the directory is not removed from the file
system. I could use "hg clean" to remove all of this, but that is a blunt
instrument because it removes things I might want to keep (like example
output and man pages for things I care about). Is there a way to
automatically remove the now-meaningless directories? Also, what do people
think about generating *.html somewhere outside the source tree? (It looks
like clutter to me and then we have to use ack or give flags to grep when
searching the tree.)