[petsc-dev] Integrating PFLOTRAN, PETSC & SAMRAI

Boyce Griffith griffith at cims.nyu.edu
Tue Jun 7 12:05:33 CDT 2011

On 6/7/11 12:48 PM, Bobby Philip wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2011, at 4:26 PM, Boyce Griffith wrote:
>>
>> What I'd really like to do is to setup some SAMRAI stuff that actually
>> uses Vec / Mat for data storage, so that most of this wrapper stuff is
>> not necessary.  (It would probably still be necessary to have a wrapper
>> for VecNorm, but that might be the only one.)  Of course, I've been
>> wanting to do this for years now...
>
> Setting it up to use PETSc storage would probably break a lot of my code and PFLOTRAN.

Not that I have the time to do this right now, but the idea would be to
do most/all of this "behind the scenes," so that application codes that
use standard SAMRAI PatchData types would work without modification.

One benefit of doing this could be easier access to different smoothers
for use in FAC; or to other composite-grid solvers for problems where
FAC is not necessary.  Another might be easier access to CUDA.

-- Boyce