[petsc-dev] Integrating PFLOTRAN, PETSC & SAMRAI

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 6 17:03:44 CDT 2011

  So are you suggesting we replace

PetscErrorCode  VecAXPY(Vec y,PetscScalar alpha,Vec x)
{
  PetscErrorCode ierr;

  PetscFunctionBegin;
  PetscValidHeaderSpecific(x,VEC_CLASSID,3);
  PetscValidHeaderSpecific(y,VEC_CLASSID,1);
  PetscValidType(x,3);
  PetscValidType(y,1);
  PetscCheckSameTypeAndComm(x,3,y,1);
  PetscCheckSameSizeVec(x,y);
  if (x == y) SETERRQ(((PetscObject)x)->comm,PETSC_ERR_ARG_IDN,"x and y cannot be the same vector");
  PetscValidLogicalCollectiveScalar(y,alpha,2);

  ierr = PetscLogEventBegin(VEC_AXPY,x,y,0,0);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = (*y->ops->axpy)(y,alpha,x);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = PetscLogEventEnd(VEC_AXPY,x,y,0,0);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = PetscObjectStateIncrease((PetscObject)y);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  PetscFunctionReturn(0);

with the equivalent of

PetscErrorCode  VecAXPY(Vec y,PetscScalar alpha,Vec x)
{
  PetscErrorCode ierr;

  PetscFunctionBegin;
  PetscValidHeaderSpecific(x,VEC_CLASSID,3);
  PetscValidHeaderSpecific(y,VEC_CLASSID,1);
  PetscValidType(x,3);
  PetscValidType(y,1);
  PetscCheckSameTypeAndComm(x,3,y,1);
  PetscCheckSameSizeVec(x,y);
  if (x == y) SETERRQ(((PetscObject)x)->comm,PETSC_ERR_ARG_IDN,"x and y cannot be the same vector");
  PetscValidLogicalCollectiveScalar(y,alpha,2);

  ierr = PetscLogEventBegin(VEC_AXPY,x,y,0,0);CHKERRQ(ierr);

  { PetscInt statey = ((PetscObject)y)->state;
  ierr = (*y->ops->axpy)(y,alpha,x);CHKERRQ(ierr);
   if (((PetscObject)y)->state ==  statey) SETERRQ("did not increase state!"}

  ierr = PetscLogEventEnd(VEC_AXPY,x,y,0,0);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  PetscFunctionReturn(0);

 I like very much the idea, just do not like my implementation, especially that statey variable (what if two vectors are changed in some routine, can the proposed macros handle that?).

  If someone proposes a good set of macros I'll implement it.

   Barry