[petsc-dev] Arguments that are logically void**

Kai Germaschewski kai.germaschewski at unh.edu
Mon Jun 6 13:34:02 CDT 2011

Wouldn't it make sense to  have DMDAVecGetArray[23]d() and have the argument
be PetscScalar ***, and PetscScalar ****, respectively? That would actually
check that one passes in a reference to the right type, making it both safe
and avoid the need for casting? That's also more in line with, e.g.,
VecGetArray2d().

I'm not sure where else void ** is used, and whether similar solutions would
apply. In general, I agree with Jed that I'd rather not have the explicit
cast in the user code.

--Kai

--
Kai Germaschewski
Assistant Professor, Dept of Physics / Space Science Center