[petsc-dev] new configuration/compile system for PETSc

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jul 9 18:13:19 CDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 18:00, Dmitry Karpeev <karpeev at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> I frequently get this question: I have a code "blah", which has its
> own build system (e.g., wmake), and I want to use PETSc solvers in it.
>  How can I build the two together?  The usual answer I give that they
> either have to (a) build their application using our
> makefiles, or (b) include $PETSC_DIR/conf/variables, etc.

These are both makefile-based solutions, and "make getlinklibs" is a better
ways to snarf the variables. We could easily write a pkgconfig file for
PETSc. Some people would like that, but pkgconfig doesn't really care about
supporting multiple installs (different PETSC_ARCH). As I've suggested
before, I think we should have a pure Python script that provides the
information in a machine-readable way (listing library paths without
"-Wl,-rpath," flags that may need to be adjusted if the user is not linking
exactly the same way that PETSc was, correctly handle shared versus static
linking, etc).