[petsc-dev] configure issues

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Feb 9 03:13:14 CST 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 08:04, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't believe you guys want further screwing around with the C
> preprocessor. I want all that crap completely
> out of the system. We are very close to that.

If you think we are very close to removing all functional tests from
configure (making petscconf.h contain only options set directly by the user,
not the result of any tests in configure), then you are delusional. Barry
just wants a clean way to jump from macro name to the test that defines that
macro and back. I agree that manually following the "link" is sometimes a
confusing process as evidenced by the fact that I typically use recursive
grep for it, but I would rather make the macro definition process
sufficiently well structured than to write potentially fragile paths into
the variable itself. This is about naming and links, not about "screwing
around with the C preprocessor".