[petsc-dev] Wrapper for WSMP

Xiaoye S. Li xsli at lbl.gov
Thu Aug 18 17:11:48 CDT 2011

I can clarify a couple of questions re. SuperLU_DIST.

1) SuperLU does support multiple right-hand sides.  That is, the B matrix on
the right can be a dense matrix of size n-by-nrhs.   Also, the B matrix is
distributed among all the processors, each processor takes one block row of
B.  There is no need to have the entire B on every processor.

2) We are preparing to upgrade to a newer version.  The parallel
factorization is improved with a better scheduling algorithm.  This is
particularly effective using larger core count, say in 100s.

3) Regarding memory usage, the factorization algorithm used in SuperLU
mostly performs "update in-place", and requires just a little bit extra
working storage.  So, if the load balance is not too bad, the memory per
core should go down consistently.   It will be helpful if you can give some
concreate numbers showing how much memory usage increases with increasing
core count.

Sherry Li