[petsc-dev] Wrapper for WSMP

Jack Poulson jack.poulson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 17:14:36 CDT 2011

Hello all,

I am working on a project that requires very fast sparse direct solves and
MUMPS and SuperLU_Dist haven't been cutting it. From what I've read, when
properly tuned, WSMP is significantly faster, particularly with multiple
right-hand sides on large machines. The obvious drawback is that it's not
open source, but the binaries seem to be readily available for most
platforms.

Before I reinvent the wheel, I would like to check if anyone has already
done some work on adding it into PETSc. If not, its interface is quite
similar to MUMPS and I should be able to mirror most of that code. On the
other hand, there are a large number of platform-specific details that need
to be handled, so keeping things both portable and fast might be a
challenge. It seems that the CSC storage format should be used since it is
required for Hermitian matrices.

Thanks,
Jack