[petsc-dev] Monitor changes

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Aug 14 17:31:39 CDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 17:16, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>  So you are willing to have the AMS buffer values that "often aren't valid
> any more" but you don't want PETSc to buffer those same values?  We could
> certainly introduce the concept of "transient" values, but what would be
> their lifetimes? Would there be a mechanism for them to be "updated"
> automatically? Knowing how old they are?

Can't AMS do some sort of reference counting on the client handle so it
could know when the last reference was dropped? PETSc could also buffer
those values, I just don't want them to go into the SNES directly (i.e. as
programmer-visible fields in _p_SNES) because it's clutter that's too easy
to misuse and because it requires a recompile just to have a "viewer"
provide an extra computed quantity. I think the minimal change necessary to
provide a new computed quantity for viewing/monitoring should be one line in
the view routine, not editing data structures.

Using callbacks for every computed quantity also sounds like more complexity
than an AMS call that buffers the field.