[petsc-dev] Monitor changes

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Aug 13 23:28:57 CDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 23:09, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Not sure it is really a viewer? It is an AMS published memory (bunch of
> fields) for the object, not sure if it makes sense to consider that a
> subclass of PetscViewer

In the viewer/monitor case, some of those fields are stack, not heap. They
may be computed and thrown away. This makes them different in that in
addition to being read-only, they can only be accessed at the moment they
are published. Is this somehow not a relevant distinction?

> > that has the object, name, type, and help string for every piece of
> information being exposed?
>
>    Yes, I think the only thing missing is the "help string" for each field.
>  For example currently it is
>
> ierr =
> AMS_Memory_add_field(obj->amem,"its",&ksp->its,1,AMS_INT,AMS_READ,AMS_COMMON,AMS_REDUCT_UNDEF);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>
> "its" is the help string. We could have a convention that the string is
> done as "variablename: useful message" for example  "its: the number of
> iterations the Krylov solver is currently at" then the GUI can process it
> anyway it wants.

Might be better to change the API now to distinguish the name and the help
string just like for options?