[petsc-dev] Monitor changes

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Aug 13 22:44:00 CDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 22:39, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> AMS could be ok. It doesn't care about structure.

The program has to expose the correct structure. Some fields are normally
computed and thrown away, so they would have to be formalized a bit in order
to snoop with AMS. The "help" strings are also not centralized like with
options so it would be harder to explain what a parameter in -pc_view
actually meant.

Should we make a "rich" viewer that has the object, name, type, and help
string for every piece of information being exposed? Then we could "publish"
this information for AMS and also optionally put it into a file or other
viewer for anyone who wasn't using AMS to read that data?