[petsc-dev] Monitor changes

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Aug 13 22:31:03 CDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 17:47, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>   0 SNES Function .....
>       0 KSP ....
>       1 KSP ...
>   1 SNES Function ...
>

>   In JASON should be
>
>     KSP   0 stuff 1 stuff ....    (acceptable diff information)
>     SNES 0 stuff 1 stuff ....   (acceptable diff information)

It may be slightly more complicated with nested solvers and since the number
of iterations can be different without necessarily indicating a problem with
convergence. In any case, if we can create a normalized "detail" form, then
it would be much easier to do monitoring.

With a configuration GUI, I would like that context to remain live and have
various monitors that you could look at to see how the solve is proceeding
at each level. Since this is read-only and (currently) less structured than
configuration options, it's not clear to me whether AMS is the best way to
get this information out.

Here are some possible options, not necessarily mutually exclusive:

1. Convert monitor/view output to produce some normalized structured
representation in C data structures.

2. Log everything to a sqlite database (because sqlite is small and
ubiquitous and directly supports common queries that people would like to
do).

3. Write everything to normalized JSON which can "easily" be parsed to
recover a queryable form.

4. Write the human-readable form as a filter on 1, 2, or 3, or write it
separately.