[petsc-dev] PetscDLSym()

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 16:10:04 CDT 2011

PetscDLSym() is broken, at least for the generic use cases I
originally had for it. See below: (this is tutorials/python/ex1 -info)

[0] PetscDLLibraryOpen(): Opening dynamic library /usr/lib64/libpython2.6
[0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
------------------------------------
[0]PETSC ERROR: Invalid argument!
[0]PETSC ERROR: Error obtaining symbol
'PetscDLLibraryRegister_python2.6' from dynamic library:
  Error message from dlsym(): '/usr/lib64/libpython2.6.so: undefined
symbol: PetscDLLibraryRegister_python2.6'

Moreover, I think the current behavior will break other parts as well.
The caller is supposed to handle the missing symbols.

Barry, do you want me to add an extra arg to PetscDLSym() to return to
the caller the output from dlerror() ? That way the caller would have
some extra info to display error, etc. Or a boolean flag to suppress
errors?

--
Lisandro Dalcin