[petsc-dev] [petsc-maint #53305] configuring petsc with parmetis

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 22 15:03:43 CDT 2010

   There is a problem with our design.

   If the user has used --download-xxxx and then later deletes everything in $PETSC_ARCH/lib then the next use of --download-xxx will fail because it will find the file
in $PETSC_ARCH/conf/xxxx that indicates the last download succeeded but the libraries won't exist so the check for the packages libraries fails with a not particularlly useful error message.

   How can we fix this? Not just check for $PETSC_ARCH/conf/xxxx but also check for $PETSC_ARCH/lib/libs associated with xxxx before deciding to rebuild? Shoot the user who deletes everything in $PETSC_ARCH/lib?

   Barry