[petsc-dev] DAGetOwnershipRanges or DAGetVertexDivision

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Sep 22 13:57:43 CDT 2010

I was looking for the symmetric function to DASetVertexDivision, so I
implemented DAGetVertexDivision (which returns the array whether the
user set it or PETSc generated it).  Then I found DAGetOwnershipRanges
which has the same interface, but returns NULL if the user didn't set
the array.  My implementation creates the arrays lazily, so the
operation is collective.

1. The interface should be symmetric, which name?

2. Should da->lx,ly,lz always be created, or should they remain empty
until the user requests it?  Note that the latter makes the Get
collective.

Jed