[petsc-dev] buildsystem questions

Kai Germaschewski kai.germaschewski at unh.edu
Mon Sep 20 21:12:36 CDT 2010

So the below actually occurs with petsc-3.1, but I believe not much has
changed in petsc-dev.

This is a config crash, which I guess is my own fault, so that's not the
real issue:

TESTING: configureDefaultArch from
> PETSc.Configure(config/PETSc/Configure.py:461)

>         CONFIGURATION CRASH  (Please send configure.log to
> petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov)

> [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'conf/petscvariables'  File
> "./config/configure.py", line 250, in petsc_configure
>     framework.configure(out = sys.stdout)
>   File "/home/kai/src/petsc-3.1/config/BuildSystem/config/framework.py",
> line 930, in configure
>     child.configure()
>   File "/home/kai/src/petsc-3.1/config/PETSc/Configure.py", line 562, in
> configure
>     self.executeTest(self.configureDefaultArch)
>   File "/home/kai/src/petsc-3.1/config/BuildSystem/config/base.py", line
> 97, in executeTest
>     ret = apply(test, args,kargs)
>   File "/home/kai/src/petsc-3.1/config/PETSc/Configure.py", line 464, in
> configureDefaultArch
>     fd = file(conffile, 'w')

The reason for the "permission denied" is that I cannot easily install a
petsc that I built as a user, as I normally do with all kinds of other
software. If I do "sudo make install", it fails with "mpicc not found"
(actually, it doesn't fail, it says install complete, but the install then
doesn't work). I can work around that by making sure I put the right mpicc
into my path as root before I "make install", but it's not as convenient as
it could be. autoconf/automake software normally builds libraries as user
that can be directly installed without having to be relinked, so I know it's
possible to make do without relinking (unless using --disable-fast-install).
Another side effect is that apparently I ended up with files owned by root
in my home directory, which gave the problem above later.

A second, not really related issue:

In my application's build, I use "make getincludedirs / getlinklibs" to
figure out how to build with / link with petsc, I suppose this is how it
should be done? Unfortunately it doesn't work so well with an installed
version of petsc, since the makefile doesn't get installed with the rest of
things. Should the makefile get installed, or should I be using another way
of figuring out this info?

--Kai

--
Kai Germaschewski
Assistant Professor, Dept of Physics / Space Science Center