[petsc-dev] Handling ESSL + Lapack and PESSL

Aron Ahmadia aron.ahmadia at kaust.edu.sa
Tue Sep 14 22:56:52 CDT 2010

Jed, I went back and recompiled a PETSc that didn't make use of the KTH
LAPACK/CBLAS build, so the problem definitely lies within the daxpy calls to
the essl library, and not PETSc's interpretation of the interface.  At this
point the potential culprits are misaligned memory or some bad
initialization to the multithreaded ESSL.  In the past I've used the
smp-friendly ESSL without any trouble, so I am surprised that this code is
throwing illegal instruction signals.  I am rebuilding PETSc now to point to
the single-threaded BG ESSL.  If this fails as well I will get some help
from the IBM guys to shed some light on what's going on.

--Aron