[petsc-dev] vtk viewer

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 04:38:35 CDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 4:46 AM, Blaise Bourdin <bourdin at lsu.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Imtiaz Hossain from the LSU visualization center and I would be interested
> in reimplementing the vtk viewer (at least for da and Vec obtained from a
> da) using libvtk. As far as I can see, the current implementation only does
> legacy text format which is not really amenable to large 3d models and does
> not support reading from a vtk file.
>
> Would you welcome a reimplementation of the vtk viewer (I know that it
> means adding another dependency / library, but this could easily be made
> optional, just like the hdf5 reader / writer)
> Is there any documentation on adding a viewer format? For what I can see,
> the load is implemented in src/vec/vec/utils/vecio.c and the writers are
> within each vector implementation. It looks like the hdf5 reader and writers
> were reimplemented recently, so we would probably try to follow their
> structure as closely as possible.

This sounds good. The writers are in the Vec impls, which is probably not
optimal since VecGetArray() is
a nice interface. I think for modern viewers of Vec, I would put the whole
thing in viewer/impls/vtk, since
all the data you need from Vec and DA is public. No need to stick stuff
underneath. Then you just change
VecView() to dispatch to the correct method, and that dispatch has an #ifdef
from configure.

    Matt

> Regards,
> Blaise
>
> --
> Department of Mathematics and Center for Computation & Technology
> Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA
> Tel. +1 (225) 578 1612, Fax  +1 (225) 578 4276
> http://www.math.lsu.edu/~bourdin

lead.