[petsc-dev] Fwd: SACUDA - Cannot compile

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 27 22:43:25 CDT 2010

On Oct 27, 2010, at 10:34 PM, Sean Farley wrote:

>   Matt had a major hissy fit when I proposed this (again) a couple of years ago.
>
> What's wrong with a namespace? Isn't this what Matt is proposing the Thrust developers do?

   That won't work if Thrust namespaces it, likely they already do. Since in PETSc it is a macro it just goes and replaces itself everywhere and doesn't pay any attention to namespaces or anything. The only way Thrust can help us is to not use VecType :-)

> "I reported it and they know about it. PETSc takes over VecType, and it would be much easier (maybe) for Thrust to just namespace that thing."
>
> Everybody and their mother uses the names Mat, Vec, etc. why can't PETSc namespace them?

   I agree. I was stupid as a rock in 95 when I didn't stick PETSc in front of everything. Then a few years later I stuck PETSc in front of a few things like Viewer but I should have stuck it in front of everything. Now, will we be smart and stick PETSc in front of everything or remain stupid without it?  Note: we are stuck with the asinine C 31 character limit which means adding the PETSc means messing up shortening some good names we have currently.

   Barry