[petsc-dev] downloadname usage inconsistency in config.package.Package?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 19 11:27:23 CDT 2010

   Dmitry,

    Look at BlasLapack.py and MPI.py, though they don't use Package completely correctly they are examples where downloadname is different then package and why downloadname exists.

    Possible changes, eliminate downloadname and put parts of MPI.py into MPICH.py and OpenMPI.py and similar with BlasLapack.py; the reason this hasn't been done is that MPI.py and BlasLapack.py are ugly
beasts and no one has the courage to properly refactor them for fear of breaking lots of stuff. I think this is the right approach but who will volunteer for such an ugly task?

    Barry