[petsc-dev] Why is -I$PETSC_DIR/src/dm/mesh/sieve in CLINKER even when configured without Sieve?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 12 08:30:57 CDT 2010

On Oct 12, 2010, at 6:33 AM, Jed Brown wrote:

> Maybe not, but it seems excessive to specify paths that do not exist or that have zero modules in them.
>
> Jed

   We could try to filter out empty directories and non-existent directories at the end, just before printing to the petscvariables file

    The reason we list directories that "the MPI compiler wrappers" already use is for mixed languages. We cannot be sure that all the linkers (c,c++, fortran) use each others libraries/directories so we generate a list of all that any of them use.  It would be possible, though I think too fragile and not worth doing for a couple of unneeded -L's to try to, for each language, remove those that the compiler for that language already supports internally.