[petsc-dev] characteristic

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue May 18 17:06:35 CDT 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>  Yes it could do with some love, but that love is not coming from me.

Well, I am waiting for someone else to use it. All the examples from
Spiegelman
run correctly and he uses it. Yes, I tried to make it more general than DAs,
but
it is incredibly difficult in parallel, so I gave up. If someone thinks they
know how,
we can change it.

We could take out dead code I guess.

   Matt

>    Barry
>
> On May 18, 2010, at 4:13 PM, Jed Brown wrote:
>
> > I noticed the shared library fixes go in the other day (along with it
> > moving out of contrib a while back).  As a purely organizational matter,
> > shouldn't this thing be at src/characteristic?  There are some dubious
> > unreachable, #if 0, and debugging (example below) code fragments hanging
> > around.
> >
> >        printf("[%d]Remote point (%d) at n+1/2 to neighbor %d: (i:%d,
> j:%d) (x:%g, y:%g)\n", rank, (int)c->queueSize+1, Qi.proc, Qi.i, Qi.j, Qi.x,
> Qi.y);
> >
> > There is also DA-specific code in the interface despite appearances that
> > the DA-specific part is isolated to impls/da.  It would appear that this
> > package could use some love if it's going to be widely used (which is
> > one possible interpretation of the significance of moving out of
> > contrib).
> >
> > Jed

lead.