[petsc-dev] reminder never use #include "mylocalinclude.h" in PETSc source

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 3 16:06:54 CDT 2010

On May 3, 2010, at 11:31 AM, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Mon, 3 May 2010 15:25:04 -0300, Lisandro Dalcin
> <dalcinl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3 May 2010 09:59, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I had the same understanding as Jed. What was the problem which
>>> prompted the
>>> fix?
>>
>> Perhaps the issue is not related to C compilation, but generation of
>> hyper-linked html documentation?
>
> That's possible (and what I asked in my earlier message), but would it
> really be that hard for the documentation tools to obey the same
> include
> resolution rules as the compilers?
>
> Jed

    This has been the PETSc style for several years. It is followed
well (Matt follows it :-). There was only a few bad spots due to Jed
and Shri. Perhaps I should have just fixed them and not sent the
email. It has nothing to do with generation of documentation or
Fortran stubs.

    The reason for it is to disconnect the location of a source file
from "its" include files. Otherwise you have the implicit assumption
that a source file is compiled in the directory that it is sitting it.
I want the freedom to compile source code with NO assumption as to
where it is sitting. That is the freedom to compile code in a
different way then the traditional recursive make that PETSc uses to
build its libraries. (One simple reason is that the traditional
recursive make is damn slow).