[petsc-dev] Merging VecScatter objects

Dmitry Karpeev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 30 15:41:44 CDT 2010

Actually, it seems to me the easiest way to merge scatters is to reconstruct
the underlying ISs, merge those and then create the merged scatter.
A similar approach would work for composing scatters.

I'm experimenting with these things in the context of creating fully
unassembled
block matrices, which the user occasionally wants to assemble (or vice versa,
taking regular matrices apart into collections of unassembled pieces).
I can implement the scatter manipulations there, under the hood, so the API
won't be inflated.  It should be easy later to expose this
functionality, if necessary.

Dmitry.