[petsc-dev] [petsc-maint #44001] Re: [petsc-users] Configuring PETSc with Intel compiler.

Matthew Knepley petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 30 13:12:50 CDT 2010

I have been thinking about this. I want to create an entire module that just
crafts responses
to errors. Putting all that knowledge distributed throughout the code is
crazy. Of course, this
entails making an error ontology, etc. which will always break somehow, but
I think its better
than what we have now.

For example, we send this module

  InvalidCompiler, C++, (error, output, status), 'icc'

Its a simple matter to put in a check that recommends using 'icpc' instead.
In fact, we can
even do more tests before giving that error, such as checking that it is the
Intel compiler. I
think this is a much cleaner separation of concerns.

Comments?

   Matt

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>    Shouldn't ./configure automatically tell the user not to use icc
> for CXX rather than require email from Satish each time this happens?
> Five minutes now to fix ./configure; endless hours of email saved later.
>

>     Barry
>
> On Mar 30, 2010, at 12:50 PM, Satish Balay wrote:
>
> > You should use CXX=icpc
> >
> > Satish
> >
> > On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Pedro Torres wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to compile PETSc with intel compiler and get the error
> >> below. I
> >> can compile a c/c++ source code without problem.
> >>
> >> What am I doing wrong?.  Thanks a lot
> >>

> >> ./config/configure.py PETSC_ARCH=linux-gnu-c++-nodebug-parmetis
> >> CXX=icc
> >> FC=ifort  --with-clanguage=C++ --download-parmetis=1
> >> --download-parmetis=/home/ptorres/soft/ParMetis-dev-p3.tar.gz
> >> --with-blas-lapack-dir=/opt/intel/mkl/10.2.4.032 --with-debugging=0
> >> CXXOPTFLAGS='-O3 -xN -tpp7 -ipo'
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =====================================================================
> >>             Configuring PETSc to compile on your system
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =
> >> =
> >> TESTING: checkCxxCompiler from
> >> config.setCompilers(config/BuildSystem/config/setCompilers.py:585)

> >>         UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see
> >> configure.log for
> >> details):

> >> C++ compiler you provided with -CXX=icc does not work

lead.