[petsc-dev] TSSetIJacobian & TSDestroy

Jed Brown jed at 59a2.org
Thu Mar 18 11:01:48 CDT 2010

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:44:39 -0300, Lisandro Dalcin <dalcinl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jed, I saw your comments on TSSetIJacobian() regarding TSDestroy() not
> dereferencing B matrix... Why you did not fix TSDestroy() ??

If I remember correctl, it's not as simple as just fixing TSDestroy,
you'd have to fix every place that the matrix can be set, and this is
sensitive due to the way the SNES is set up (sometimes) in a location
that doesn't have enough information about the stepper in use to do it
correctly.  There is also resetting matrices appropriately when
-snes_mf_operator is used.  The ownership can certainly be fixed, but I
think it will take some careful thinking and testing.

Do you have a case where the current thing is actually wrong (broken, or
inconsistent with semantics of TSSetRHSJacobian)?  If not, I'm inclined
to postpone the fix until a more major overhaul of TS.

Jed