[petsc-dev] script.py

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 13:29:57 CDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Jed Brown <jed at 59a2.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:16:22 -0600, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov>
> wrote:
> >      Perhaps the status should be set to 0 and the error to '' in the
> > situation where I put in the wrong values (thinking it was failure).
>
> I tried that, but it broke something else.  It seems that the convention
> is to set these globals before calling, and then check whether they have
> changed.  This looks very yucky to me, perhaps Matt can explain why it
> is this way.

Okay, whatever 'yuckiness' is here is imposed on us by the threading
package.
I think what is confusing you guys is the reprocessing of output, since
Satish
likes it cleaned up. The 'else' branch where Barry added code is actually
the
success branch since thread.isAlive() is false, meaning it completed. We
reprocess
the output and return. The status and error have already been set during the
run() call. Its this call that makes us us globals for these variables. Its
the Python
equiv of a closure.

   Matt

> Jed