[petsc-dev] [petsc-maint #50087] Re: why does PETSc BuildSystem hate me?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jul 26 16:51:45 CDT 2010

  Aron,

   Your complaints about PETSc's ./configure are legitimate, there is no documentation and the --help spews a bunch of incoherent, badly formatted and inconsistent information. In addition there is no documentation about parts of autoconf it supports versus what parts of autoconf it does not support.

   I have gone through all the help strings to use more consistent notation and improve the formatting; I think --help is much better now in petsc-dev.

   It would be possible to generate a .html version of the help automatically, but for it to be useful we should add more information into the .py that describe the options more fully. Let's think about this.

   Barry