[petsc-dev] meaning of VecScale() if not a collective

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Thu Jul 8 15:24:35 CDT 2010

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 13:12:03 -0700, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>   I will use Not Collective, Logically Collective, Neighbor-wise Collective and Collective

There are many places now where "Collective on X" appears in the
documentation, but there are actually further constraints about
communicators matching, etc.  I'm not familiar with sowing internals,
but would it be feasible to automatically generate statements about
collectiveness from the guards in the source (e.g. PetscCheckSameComm(),
maybe a new PetscCollective(), or even PetscLogicallyCollective() that
expanded to do a barrier in a debugging mode to help diagnose misuse)?

Jed