[petsc-dev] design of KSPSPECEST

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 31 12:48:05 CST 2010

   It seems to me that KSPSPECEST is a pre-processor for Richardson and Chebychev that computes "good" parameters using either GMRES or CG during the "first" solve.

   So why not make the user interface more reflect this, for example:

   -ksp_type chebychev -ksp_chebychev_precompute_parameters -ksp_chebychev_precompute_ksp_type cg -ksp_chebychev_precompute_minfactor .95

   Is there something this approach is missing? I think what I propose is much clearer and straightforward then this business with a new KSP type