[petsc-dev] What do people want to have working before a petsc-3.2 release?

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Tue Dec 21 15:54:43 CST 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 01:31, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> > 2.  Is it as easy as PCSetDM?  Or provide a coarse DM and get a
> hierarchy?  Is there an example? I agree about having FieldSplit forward the
> pieces. I recall starting on that.  Who is responsible for assembling
> rediscretized coarse operators?
>
>   src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ex45.c

Neat, this does more than I thought.  We currently pick up DMComposite and
forward index sets and field names into the splits.  Two issues remain

1. Forward DMs into splits.  This is superficial, it pretty much just
requires a non-vararg DMComposite accessor.  It would be a massive
simplification to create a DMRedundant instead of all the Array
specialization in DMComposite.

2. What if the user wants to run PCMG in only one split?  I think this one
is actually hard.  Suppose we have

FormFunction1(dm1,X1,X2,F1,user1);
FormFunction2(dm2,X1,X2,F2,user2);

If we do monolithic multigrid, then we call both of these functions with
(dm1,dm2) on each level and there is no conceptual difficulty relative to
the single-level method.  But if we only do multigrid on physics 2, then we
still need a way to get X1 (interpolated into whatever form FormFunction2
needs) on coarse levels.  If we want to call FormFunction2 from
PCSetUp_FieldSplit:PCSetUp_MG, then we have lost all reference to X1.  But
handling all the MG stuff from PCSetUp_FieldSplit is breaking the
abstraction.  I'm not seeing an elegant way to handle this, perhaps we
should have a way to cache coupling information on the DM.  Any ideas?