[petsc-dev] What do people want to have working before a petsc-3.2 release?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 20 12:42:48 CST 2010

On Dec 20, 2010, at 9:30 AM, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> CUDA config/install should really work. This means clearing up auto download of Thrust/Cusp,

   Is this actually feasible? I am not sure. The problem is we currently need to (for the preconditioners) use the dev version obtained via Mecurial. Do we (1) take a snapshot of that as a tarball and stick it at the PETSc ftp site to autodownload or do we (2) autodownload the Mecurial version.

     The problem with (1) is who is going to roll the new snapshot all the time (we already had problems with this autodownload being out of date).

     The problem with (2) is if the thrust/cusp guys change something that breaks us then we are autodownloading broken stuff.

     I think we should just require the user to install the appropriate CUDA, thrust and cusp themselves. The installation instructions now tell the user exactly where to get the packages.

>     fixing/understanding 64-bit checks,

   I think these checks are ok, please report problems.

> and getting a nightly test that checks it.

   Agreed. Satish?

   Barry