[petsc-dev] [petsc-maint #57017] Hypre

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Dec 1 11:40:55 CST 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 18:29, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> We need a really good entry in the FAQ for solving Stokes problems with
> PETSc or a solid section in the users manual. This question comes up fairly
> often (usually phrased as something like ILU sucks for my problem, what is
> wrong with PETSc).

I think the users manual deserves a section on solving generalized
saddle-point problems.  There is one last quirk with FieldSplit that I think
we need to address in order to have a good API for this (how to pipe
preconditioning information into the bowels of FieldSplit-Schur, I'm
settling on a way to do this).  Explaining how to do coupled 1-level DD is
easier in some ways, but does involve the inf-sup condition.  Coupled
multigrid is probably the hardest of all of these options, it would help
quite a bit if we could provide a generic Vanka smoother.

Jed