[petsc-dev] What's the point of D(A/M)GetGlobalVector?

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Fri Aug 27 11:02:42 CDT 2010

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:50:22 -0500, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>     If the DACreateVec managed a pool and the destroy put it back in a pool then you would not all this overhead.

The problem with this is that it doesn't actually release the memory.
So in the preprocessing scenario where I create, say, 50 local vectors,
use them all temporarily, then destroy them and build a solver, I would
run out of memory.  I think there needs to be some way for the user to
guarantee that the memory is actually released.

Jed