[petsc-dev] easyinstall for petsc4py

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 09:59:59 CDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Lisandro Dalcin <dalcinl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5 August 2010 00:39, Lisandro Dalcin <dalcinl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 4 August 2010 12:44, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> >>
> >>  Lisandro,
> >>
> >>    We would like to help you make it possible for petsc4py to be
> installed by easyinstall and automatically install PETSc with it, thus
> making it trivial for Python users to start using petsc4py. How can we help
> make this happen?
> >>

> > $ export PETSC_DIR=/path/to/petsc
> > $ export PETSC_ARCH=arch-name
> > $ easy_install petsc4py
> >
> > This should work and be enough (at least on Linux)...
> >

> I confirm this works out of the box (on Linux) for prefix installs and
> non-prefix builds of petsc-3.1
>
> All this assuming a previous installation/build of PETSc is available.
> Barry, Do you actually mean that "easy_install petsc4py" should handle
> the download and build of core PETSc?

What I was hoping for is something along the lines of Atlas in numpy. If
we find PETSc, use it. If not, do we find mpi4py? If so, use that and
build plain vanilla PETSc. If not, build PETSc with mpiuni. That way, it
will always work out of the box for everyone, and for savvy users, it does
the right thing too.

> Lisandro Dalcin
> CIMEC (INTEC/CONICET-UNL)
> Predio CONICET-Santa Fe