[petsc-dev] -ksp_view_binary with DA vectors

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 4 10:17:16 CDT 2010

On Aug 4, 2010, at 7:04 AM, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> On 4 August 2010 01:30, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>>   Because we got an email from an intelligent person who went down the wrong track because of this inconsistency I have implemented this. Now the MatView() also remaps back to the natural ordering.
>>

> Sorry, but I'm still lost with you concept of "inheritance" :-).

  A DA MPI vector isa MPI Vec with a new VecView and a DA MPI Mat isa MPI Mat with a new MatView() the simplest implementation inheritance you can think of.

> So
> would you consider a good pattern to change (if you were able to)
> function pointers in a C++ virtual table? Do you like Python's
> new.instacemethod(...) and think it is a proper way to implement APIs?

   In general I favor the idea of being able to dynamic add new methods to objects; the specifics of instancemethod() I don't know. In fact, I got the original idea of PetscObjectComposeFunction() from the ability to do this in Objective C.

   Barry