Parallel graph coloring heuristics to color large-scale general jacobian matrices

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Thu Sep 24 14:17:34 CDT 2009

[moving to petsc-dev from petsc-users]

Rafael Santos Coelho wrote:
> I believe I'm going to stick with strategy # 2 (writing my own
> MyMatFDColoringCreate, etc) because, to me, it sounds simpler, since I'm
> on a tight time schedule right now and that I'm quite knowledgeable
> about how things go inside the SNES (two years dealing with nonlinear
> problems in PETSc finally paid off) and the MatFDColoring modules. Plus,
> using my own data structures would be of great help to me as well, given
> that it took me a considerable amount of time to design them efficiently.

Wait!  Are you providing the coloring or computing a matrix once you
have the coloring?  These are different things and you should use
MatColoringRegisterDynamic() if you are providing the former.

Barry, MatGetColoring() currently has the parallel logic hardwired, it
would need a little work to get the parallel matrix passed to the
coloring function.

Jed