ML symbols in petscksp.so

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 15:52:15 CDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Jed Brown <jed at 59a2.org> wrote:

> I realize that the real problem here was OpenCV's libml and the fact
> that linkers don't resolve symbols by starting with the most recent -L
> path [*], but we should at least remember that putting -L{PETSC_LIB_DIR}
> at the beginning of the line can completely change the way symbols are
> resolved.

I think that the real problem here is that developers should be
smarter and they should not use such short names for a library... "ml"
.. just two characters... What "ml" stand for? "mailing list"? the
internet country code for Mali at Africa? "milliliter" ? "Markup
Language", "ML" the programming language? Well... I'll stop here...
:-)

IMHO, I think that what Jed suggested in previous mail about using
-Wl,-whole-archive ${PETSC_EXTERNAL_LIB} -Wl,-no-whole-archive when
--with-shared is in action could be a VERY good idea... Then PETSc
link lines will not need to refer at all to these static libs from
external packages...

--
Lisandro Dalcín