most efficient way to use local CSR matrix?

Mark F. Adams mark.adams at columbia.edu
Wed Oct 21 11:50:47 CDT 2009

Chris, just a note,

Perhaps I missed something here but do something similar to you, eg
overlapping partitions, and PETSc is setup very well to be intrusive
in your code (I sometimes write a little 'addvalue' wrapper) and
assemble your FE matrices directly into a global matrix.  You use the
(global) MatSetValues(...) and set the matrix option
MAT_IGNORE_OFF_PROC_ENTRIES (or something like that) so that these off
processor matrix entries, which are computed redundantly, are thrown
away and you get the correct matrix.

As Barry said you don't need exact non-zero counts to allocate storage
in PETSC matrices, just don't underestimate.

Mark