script to query PETSc makefile variables?

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 22 16:38:30 CST 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Boyana Norris wrote:

> Is there a script that can be used to query the values of various variables
> defined in petscvariables makefile snippets (similar to lots of linux tools'
> pkg-config scripts)?

[don't have canned code for this but] I've previously recommended
doing the following in the packages configure.. [facets now has this
in their configure to detect petsc]

- petsc_arch and petsc_dir are inputs to configure
- Create a dummy makefile on the fly
- run this makefile to echo relavent stuff..

For eg:
asterix:/home/balay/download-pine>cat configpetsc.sh
#!/bin/sh

PETSC_ARCH=asterix64
PETSC_DIR=/home/balay/spetsc

cat <<EOF > petscmake
PETSC_ARCH = ${PETSC_ARCH}
PETSC_DIR  = ${PETSC_DIR}
include ${PETSC_DIR}/conf/base
EOF

PETSC_INC=`make -f petscmake getincludedirs`
PETSC_LIB=`make -f petscmake getlinklibs`

echo '**** PETSC_INC ***'
echo ${PETSC_INC}
echo '**** PETSC_LIB ***'
echo ${PETSC_LIB}