[petsc-maint #38919] Re: stupid, stupid, stupid MPI.py

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 14 08:14:40 CST 2009

     This is the help message that has always been there

     help.addArgument('MPI', '-with-mpi-
shared=<bool>',                           nargs.ArgBool(None, None,
'Try to use shared MPI libraries'))

    Note the word   TRY! How can you TRY to use shared MPI libraries
if you don't build the shared MPI libraries. TRY means make some
effort, if you don't make the MPI libraries with shared then your are
not trying!

    Feel free to add a new option --with-mpi-shared-test if you want,
for your weird case; where you want to use shared libraries but don't
want to build them.

    Barry